"Nevada Days" finalist in the 2019 PEN America Literary Awards
2019-01-26 ¦ Prizes
PEN America has announced the finalists for the 2019 PEN America Literary Awards. This year’s awards will confer more than $370,000 to writers and translators whose exceptional literary works were published in 2018. Bernardo Atxaga's Nevada Days is one of the works nominated for the Translation Prize.
PEN America’s shortlists of nominees for the best literary works published in the United States in 2018 and in various categories include Bernardo Atxaga's novel Nevada Days, which has been nominated for best translation.
In the case of Nevada Days, the warm reception that the English publication garnered in the US surely contributed to its being nominated.
The winners of the 2019 PEN America Literary Awards will be celebrated at the 2019 PEN America Literary Awards Ceremony on February 26, 2019, in NYC. The ceremony will feature live announcements, performances of honored works, and will be followed by a champagne toast.
The finalists are:
- Nevada Days, Bernardo Atxaga (Graywolf Press). Translated from the Spanish by Margaret Jull Costa.
- Disoriental, Négar Djavadi (Europa Editions). Translated from the French by Tina Kover.
- The Stone Building and Other Places, Aslı Erdoğan (City Lights). Translated from the Turkish by Sevinç Türkkan.
- Love, Hanne Řrstavik (Archipelago Books). Translated from the Norwegian by Martin Aitken.
- Trick, Domenico Starnone (Europa Editions). Translated from the Italian by Jhumpa Lahiri.